Auckland and Eden Park are the host of the new NRL Nines. Although it appears the local resident association remain unconvinced that the prospect of a booze-fuelled Wellington Sevens-style crowd marauding around Mt Eden and Sandringham is in their best interests.
The NRL Nines
* Two-day tournament to run February 15 and 16.
* All 16 NRL clubs to compete at Eden Park.
* Organisers hoping 96,000 fans will attend.
* Games held between noon and 7pm each day.
* Auckland ratepayers to contribute $9 million in sponsorship over five years and up to $3 million in additional spending.
The fear seems to originate back to a League Test that was played at Eden Park and the crowd became irate at the play and sent numerous bottles onto the field. With this new event a combination of access to cheap alcohol outside the ground, the length of the event – which will run from 12.00pm to 7.00pm each day could create a number of issues.
As the owner of Eden Park Bed and Breakfast and living 300 metres from the stadium ,I am very much aware of the nature of the crowds. Most games at Eden Park are all over within 2 hours. There is a short burst of crowd arrival and departure and its all over. This derby will be longer and the chance of over indulgence by patrons is possible. Lets hope that they have their ducks in a row come game day !
On a lighter note , we still have accommodation available with the dates in question. This will be a two day special.