Education Next Article: Five schools targeted in crackdown
Disabled kids’ parents threaten lawsuit against schools
By Kate Shuttleworth
5:30 AM Sunday Feb 19, 2012
Email
Print
EXPAND
Antonia Hannah and 7-year-old son Max. Photo / Chris Loufte
Angry parents are set to take groundbreaking legal action against schools that turn away their disabled children.

Disabled services provider IHC has collected statements from families to back up a case to go before the Human Rights Review Tribunal. Director of advocacy Trish Grant said court action would be the next step, if the complaint and mediation didn’t fix the problem.

Hamilton mum Maxine Jeffery tried to enrol her 6-year-old twins, Levi and Olivia, in two Hamilton primary schools before they were accepted by a third school. One said Levi, who is blind and autistic, would be better at another school. The next phoned up and said: “We’ve talked about it as a school and we’ve decided that if you bring your child to this school a lot of parents will remove their children.”

Antonia Hannah, whose 7-year-old son Max has Down syndrome, gave evidence that she was deterred by three East Auckland primary schools – St Thomas’s, Glen Taylor and Michael Park, a Steiner school.

“They are all very careful with words to protect themselves but they were dubious, pessimistic and made it clear it wasn’t going to work.

There was a generally unwelcome attitude and a pressure to agree to shortened school hours,” she said.

This week, the schools all said they were open to enrolments from disabled children.

St Thomas’s principal Janice Adamson said her school enrolled every child which resided in the school zone “regardless of ethnicity, religion, need or syndromes”.

The school had another student with Down syndrome and worked alongside Sunnydene Special School, Adamson said, adding that she “loved” having children with special needs in her school.

Michael Park principal Dee Whitby told Hannah in an email that another Down syndrome child had suffered difficulties “and it was not an easy decision to reach that he would be happier” in another school. But this week, she said all children were enrolled according to the same policy as long as parents supported the Steiner ethos.

Lin Avery, principal of Glen Taylor, did not believe her staff would have actively discouraged the family. “I do know that at that time we had a huge spurt in roll growth and [the acting principal] was under a lot of pressure dealing with unexpected numbers of children coming in, so I don’t know if that would have impacted on her response to that request.”

Colleen Brown of the Family and Parent Resource Centre – who faced the same problems enrolling her Down syndrome son when he was a child – said she had advocated for countless families trying to enrol their children.

“Nine times out of 10 parents will not come out and say categorically they had been discriminated against,” she said. “It’s a huge step for parents to take.”

Schools gave varying responses – from a flat “no”, to asking the parents for money to make up the funding shortfall, to accepting the student for part of a day or week then sending them home.

Unfair treatment
* Since beginning its investigations, the Herald on Sunday has been inundated with parents who say their children were effectively turned away from schools or treated unreasonably in class.

* Derek Reid tried to enrol his 5-year-old daughter Amelia, who has Prader-Willi syndrome, in two in-zone North Shore schools. One met with the family and cited reasons why it could not help them. Amelia now goes to Torbay Primary.

* Deborah McDougall’s son has an intellectual disability. She said he suffered discrimination at three schools and was now being home-schooled.

* Carmen Donaldson’s son Michael, 13, has autism and epilepsy and was told he couldn’t go to school camp. The family organised a parent to go with him and got a previous principal to vouch for him. The Epilepsy Foundation offered staff training, the Human Rights Commission contacted the school and his older brother delivered a petition signed by 300 people. He was still not allowed to go to camp.

* Luminita Sprague’s son, who has autism, had been attending a mainstream school for four years. When the family moved house they tried to enrol him at a Papakura school which seemed happy to take him “until the ‘A’ word popped up”. “I was handed a letter which was practically trying to intimidate me into cancelling my son’s enrolment at their school.”

By Kate Shuttleworth | Email Kate
Related Tags
dy
Be part of the news. Send pics, video and tips to nzherald.
Send
Find Employment Agencies in your area

Now Hiring

-
The TPP Council is seeking a Chief Executive capable of leading a high performing institution that is financially sound and a provider of valued education and training.
Apply Now

IM This
Share
Email
Print
EducationNext Article: Five schools targeted in crackdown
Special Offers
BLACKCAPS v South Africa! Click here to get your ticket NOW!
Get a State car insurance quote in 5 minutes and buy online
Try a Consumer membership for $1 for 1 month

National, international and travel. Get the latest from Air NZ. More deals every day

FIJI Kids stay, eat, play $299
NIUE 7n fm $869pp inc bfast
MOOREA 5n fm $2399pp inc bfast

The MMP Review is on now
Your opinion counts
Make a quick submission here

Get your Lotto & Big Wednesday tickets online – save time and never miss another draw!

Quit with Quitline. Track your savings with Quit Stats
More on nzherald.co.nz
Students & Study Boot camp takes students to new heights Students & Study Five schools targeted in crackdown Students & Study Charter school policy lambasted

This entry was posted in Travel. Bookmark the permalink.